Monday, August 21, 2006

duck season

I'm why your eyes and ears are about to be bombarded with ads.

I'm that swing voter guy.

I vote for Republicans.

I vote for Democrats.

Sometimes, I even vote for Daffy Duck.

Sometimes, I don't even know who I'm voting for until I close my eyes in that booth and stare into my soul.

I did just that two years ago. And I saw that I couldn't vote for Bush again. Not after the disingenuous way that war was sold.

And I couldn't bring myeslf to vote for Kerry, either. He, in my eyes, like so many other Democrats, threw his support behind the war in large part out of political expediency.

That did not sit well with me.

I voted for Daffy.

And I just might vote for him again this fall.

So, to all of you non-water fowl candidates:

  • "I'm not a Republican and I'm against Bush" is not strong enough of an argument to win my vote.
  • If you're going to tell me you're going to "bring the troops home," you'd better damn well follow that up with an elucidation of what you expect the repercussions to be for the people of Iraq, the stability of the middle east, and our global reputation.
  • Tell me why you're not working on anything substantive to fight global warming. Do you not care, or do you think you're a better scientist than scientists?
  • If you're against raising taxes, tell me exactly why you're for passing the national debt onto me -- with interest. And if you say you're against that as well, tell me specifically what spending programs you are going to cut.
And if you can't do that, start quacking.

Or you just might be a lame duck.

5 Comments:

At 9/09/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger celestial blue said...

nice post!
and i agree... I don't label myself as conservative or liberal.. my vote has changed been different nearly everytime.
You guys are in desperate need of change, and I hope that happens with your next election (thank god for your little 2 term rule.. we don't have that up here).
cheers

 
At 9/15/2006 7:47 PM, Blogger me said...

Thanks for the comment, CB! I think that anyone who somehow finds their views aligning nearly perfectly with a major party is not thinking for themself very hard. The 2 term rule is good, as is getting to pick a new House and rearrange the Senate every 2 years. You don't want anyone thinking they own their office. Change is what we just might get, and I just hope it's for the better.

 
At 10/07/2006 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo!

I was just listening to Johnny Cash "Hurt", and feeling kinda sad and introspective. I randomly googled "empire of dirt" to see where the other denizens of the 'net were at. While I don't have any answers, I thought I would just give a shout out, and let you know that a random stranger has read your posts and hopes that you are ok...

 
At 10/10/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger me said...

Yo Martin,

Thank you for saying that and thank you for reading... hope you are OK as well.

 
At 1/16/2013 10:13 PM, Anonymous Pamela said...

Yo Martin, Thank you for saying that and thank you for reading... hope you are OK as well.  

 

Post a Comment

<< Home